Airpods are charged through their case and the Airpods case, in turn, gets charged with the help of a charging cable.
But, How to Charge AirPods Without Case?
Sadly, you will not be able to charge the Apple AirPods without a case. You might be able to charge them using someone else’s AirPod case or with a 3rd party case but you will still need a case to charge the Apple AirPods.
How to charge Apple AirPods with someone else’s AirPod case?
To charge your AirPods with another Apple AirPod case requires the same procedure as to how you would charge your AirPods.
Place the AirPods inside the Apple AirPods case and close the lid. Before you do this, make sure that the AirPods case has enough battery left to charge your AirPods.
However, for this solution to work, both the AirPods and the charging cases need to belong to the same model. If they are different models, then this solution might not work for you.
Can you charge your Airpods using a Non-Apple charging case?
Yes, you can charge your Airpods using a non-apple charging case. However, it is not recommended.
This is NOT guaranteed as we have not tested this out ourselves.
You have to be very careful about this as sometimes these cases charge your devices really quick and sometimes they are really slow. In such cases many times you might end up damaging your Airpods forever.
Here is a couple of 3rd party charging cases for the Apple AirPods.
Can you pair AirPods with an iPhone without the charging case?
Well, technically you can connect the AirPods to an iPhone without the charging case.
You can do this by using the AirPlay feature on the iPhone, iPad, or Macbook. Here are the steps to do it.
- On the iPhone access the Control Panel by swiping from the top to the bottom of the screen
- You should see the Audio Card or Controls
- Press and Hold any blank section on the Audio card
- This will open the expanded view and you can now click on the AirPlay icon
- Once the phone/tablet detects the Apple AirPods, you will see them listed there
- Click on the AirPods and the pairing process will start
What does the color of the Airpods charging lights indicate?
Although the Airpods are very small to look at and have got only one small light on its case yet the light flashes different colors in different situations indicating various things. Let us now understand what does the color of the Airpods different charging lights indicates.
- Flashing white light – This indicates that the Airpods are ready for set up and may be connected to a Bluetooth device
- Amber light – A steady Amber light indicates that there is less than one full charge left in the case and that soon it needs to get charged
- Flashing Amber – This usually happens when there is a technical glitch and might mean that you need to set or even reset your Airpods with your device
- Green Light with the Airpods inside the case – This indicates that your Airpods are fully charged and ready to be used
- Green Light but with no Airpods inside the case – this situation indicates that your Airpods case is charged completely
How long do you need to charge your Airpods?
The charging of your Airpods completely depends on the kind of usage you have with your Airpods. If you are charging your Airpods for the first time then ideally it is suggested that you charge your Airpods for at least 2-3 hours.
If this is not the first time you are charging your Airpods but intend to use them for a longer duration then ideally it is suggested that you charge your Airpods for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. Usually, 15 mins of charge time to your Airpods will give you 3 hours of listening time and at least 1-2 hours of talk time. Hence if you charge your Airpods for at least 30 minutes your Airpods should get completely charged. In case there is an issue with charging, check our guide on earbuds not charging in case!
What is the battery life of different generations of Airpods?
Every time Airpods have been made, Apple has tried to integrate different features into them thus ensuring that each time they make a new generation of Airpods they are better than the previous ones. Similarly, every Airpods generation have different battery life such as
The 1st generation Airpods – These Airpods would give at least 5 hours of listening time on a single charge and about 2 hours of talk time. If the cases of the 1st generation Airpods were fully charged then you would also get almost 24 hours of listing time and 11 hours of talk time.
The 2nd generation Airpods – charging an Airpod completely would give around 5 hours of listening time and 3 hours of talk time. In case the Airpods case is completely charged then you would get around 24 hours of listening time and 18 hours of talk time.
The 3rd generation Airpods or the Airpods pro – these would give you almost 4.5 hours of listening and 3.5 hours of talk time on a single charge. Apart from that with 5 minutes of charge time you can get at least 1 hour of talk time and listening time too.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article today and found it helpful. So, the next time you misplaced your Airpods case and want to charge your Airpods don’t forget to go through this article and find your answers.